Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Girl in Havana (Friday 30th January)

Flew into Havana today and met up with Sharon. However, my perfect record of problems at the airport continued. Apparently, I only had a 30 day Visa for Peru (even though I requested a three month Visa) but had stayed for 65 days. This resulted in me having to pay $1US per day for every day over 30 days. In addition, I had to pay a $5US penalty because I didn’t have my embarkation document which no one told me I needed to get out of the country. This left me with no money in my wallet. When I arrived in Panama and went to board the connecting plane to Havana I was told I had to buy a Visa into Cuba for $20US dollars and they would only accept USA cash. I had to run around looking for a EFT machine and just made my flight (they were closing the door on me and did not want to let me in until I stuck my foot in the doorway and refused to move it). Got into Havana at about 7.30pm and took two hours to get through customs, Firstly, my baggage was the second last off the plane and then everybody’s luggage was being searched. Got to my accommodation at about 10.30pm and Sharon opened the door – a more beautiful sight I cannot remember. We hugged and kissed and caught up on everything. I met the people whose house we are staying at and they are lovely. Finally went to bed and slept like a baby

No comments: