Thursday, December 4, 2008

On the road again

Took the bus trip from Miraflores to Cusco yesterday and the day before - it was the ride from hell. What was supposed to be a 22 hour trip took 30 hours. Firstly, it left an hour late, then we had to detour because protesters were blocking the main roads, then the driver hit a rock and broke the axle. We had to wait a few hours for a replacement bus - basically in the middle of nowhere. At one stage the driver left and had to return because he left some people behind (Chris included). I also got a bad stomach ache from something I ate and I broke a tooth which definitely meant that this was not the best day of my life. The scenery was spectacular and it was amazing driving through the mountains. We saw lots of villages and many flocks of llama and sheep. It took me a little while to acclimatize to the high altitude (was very light headed when we got off for one of the bus stops) but I think I´m alright now. Cusco looks really interesting and will plan my trip to Macchu Picchu and a few other places while I am getting orientated.

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

still keeping a check on your travels, that broken tooth thing would have peed me off the most.
classes are winding down and everything ok except maybe Dallas (as if you care). I will be doing some centre support work over the holidays to tide me over and plan to stay out of the gossip as much as I can. Everything with Jaiden- same shit diferent day but have booked 2 weeks in Mackay as the tickets were $54 so the break will be good. Will watch your blog again and write to you some time.
Mary Ann